Wednesday, October 5, 2022
Dear Group Leaders,
The U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico experienced heavy rain and stormy winds from hurricane Fiona early in September. Thankfully, the government as well as local businesses and residents learned a lot from 2017’s Hurricane Maria. The island now possesses machinery, generators, and hurricane protocols that did not exist back in 2017. Below is an update on the recovery efforts of the island. As of today, the island as well as Vamonos are fully open for business. We have groups traveling with us even this month.
- Electricity –95% of the population already has power; some of our staff members and family in San Juan already have electricity.
- Water – 98% of the population has running water as compared to 8% three day ago.
- Hotels and venues – major hotels, attractions, and venues are fully operational and welcoming guests.
- SJU Airport and other airports – Open and fully operational
- Ports – Open and are fully operational
- Venues and tourist attractions are open. El Yunque is open, but some trails are still closed.
- More information – For more info, visit: https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/information-about-hurricane-fiona
Our team is gathering data regarding places and communities in need of service for future service-learning projects.