TEJANO TOUR: 4 days
- Chat with chicanos “en espanol” with some Spanglish
- Experience Mexican culture and cuisine daily, with locals
- Spanish-speaking guide, bus driver, and managers
- Interact with Latino Native Americans
- Learn the tricks of cooking authentic Mexican tamales
- Enjoy “Folklórico” dance lessons at inner-city Mexican studio
- Meet local Mexican-American artists
- Learn the difference between Tejano, Chicano, Tex-Mex cultures
- Do the RiverWalk, en español!
- Visit Spanish Missions
- Interact with Native Americans through storytelling, song, dance
- Tour famous caves, cathedral, and historic Alamo
- Volunteer at numerous institutions, organizations, and inner-city spaces.
Visit the Mexican district of San Antonio. Interact with locals as you learn about Tejano culture. Take Mexican-rich “Folklórico” dance lessons. Walk through the historic district on your way to an authentic Mexican welcome dinner.
Visit El Alamo and one of the city’s Missions. From there head to Spanish Missions Trail Historic National Park. Tour the missions of San José and San Juan. Enjoy an interactive mission tour from a Latino Native American perspective including song, dance, storytelling, and a send-off blessing. Try “aguas frescas” and “pan dulce.” Try your hand at making your own “tamal” at a “tamalada” class taught by local Mexican “abuelitas.”
Discover Texas’ most visited caverns on a private tour. Order lunch in Spanish. Tour La Villita and San Fernando Cathedral. Take a boat tour of San Antonio’s Riverwalk. Chat with locals about Tejano culture and language. Spend a little time shopping and savor an “agua fresca.” Finish your day by experiencing San Antonio’s The Saga at the main plaza.
Take a walking tour of San Antonio’s El Mercado. Visit an authentic Mexican frutería. Break down into groups and participate in a scavenger hunt in the Market Place; interview local Spanish speakers.
STARTING AT: $1,485*
*Price estimate based on minimum of 30 paying travelers departing from CLT airport